Why does my shower seal leak?
Although showers or shower baths may leak for a number of reasons, by far the most common cause of shower seal leakage is building movement:
- As a building settles into its foundations
- As a building moves naturally with hot and cold weather
Weakening or Cracking
This movement can result in weakening or cracking of grout, shower seal, tile and floor/wall junctions within the shower or bath. This eventually allows water to penetrate beneath the surface of the tiles.
Waterproof Membrane Fails
Beneath the surface of the tiles there is usually some kind of waterproofing membrane designed to catch/stop water penetrating to surrounding areas. Unfortunately, these shower sealing membranes are also susceptible to building movement, poor installation and chemical breakdown with age. Once this membrane has been breached, water is free to penetrate into surrounding areas and cause damage.
*Warranty doesn't cover excessive building movement.
The 7 Warning Signs of a Leaking Shower Seal
We consistently get inquiries on “are there any early warning signs if your shower is leaking”? So to assist you we have compiled the 7 Warning Signs and photos for each.
- Swelling skirting boards, dampness, or mould build up
- Peeling paint: ceiling, bathroom OR outside wall
- Damp musty smell – wet carpet and wallpaper
- Mouldy cupboards, ceilings and walls
- Stained timber under the house or subfloor
- Cracked tiles in the bathroom
- Missing grout in the shower seal
If there are any of these signs then the shower seal at the property
may be leaking and causing damage
Please do not hesitate to call one of our knowledgeable and friendly staff to assist you on
1300 888 806
FREE QUOTATIONS ANYWHERE IN THE AREAS WE SERVICE
- Do It Yourself -
- The majority of the retail products available, even if applied correctly, will at very best offer stop gap solutions.
- Re-Membraning -
- This system involves the removal of tiles within the shower to access, repair or replace the current waterproofing membrane. While this system is effective, the obvious downside is that it can take 4-5 days, it can be extremely hard to find matching replacement tiles and, on average, is fairly expensive. Although we strongly recommend our non-removal of tile system, we can perform a full retiling membraning service if required.
- The Shower Repair Center “Diamond Seal ™” System
We are proud to be the preferred contractor to many of Australia's largest Building, Plumbing, Strata and Real Estate firms.